As we look to better secure our information resources and reduce threats (such as phishing emails), we have identified an opportunity that will enhance our security posture.
The planned change will put us fully in compliance with URP: 04.735 Information Security Identification and Authentication which states that “User account passwords that are over 365 days old from the date of password creation must be reset by the User.”
Beginning in June 2023, we will reset all student passwords that have not been refreshed in the last 365 days. There are more than 70,000 active student accounts that need a password reset.
The IT Solutions project team has taken various factors and risks into consideration to develop the plan outlined below. They have connected with partners across campus to identify timings that will limit the impact on students. The plan gives students a larger window to reset their passwords during a time that will not affect the start of the fall 2023 term.
- Targeted emails were sent the week of May 8 to students who need to reset their passwords.
- June & July - Thirteen groups of students would be staggered for password reset dates to fall on Tuesdays and Thursdays in June and July. Forced resets would not begin until June.
We will need your support to make this change a success with minimal disruption. By encouraging students to take action now, they can avoid losing access. If a student does not reset their password within their 30-day window, they may still go to TWU Portal to reset; however, they will not be able to access resources such as email or Canvas until the password is reset.
How you can help
- Encourage students to proactively update their TWU passwords
- Assure them that system-generated emails are to be expected and are legitimate
- Educate them on how a strong, unique password protects all of us and this project is designed to keep all of our information resources more secure
- Let students know that if they have concerns, questions, or issues, they should call the Technology Service Desk at 940-898-3971
Updating passwords is a simple way for TWU to improve our security posture and create a more stable and secure digital environment for all Pioneers.