The office of Curriculum and Strategic Initiatives, in partnership with IT Solutions, is proud to announce that TWU is now a member of the Oracle Academy and of LinkedIn Learning with GitHub.
These free, hands-on, real-world resources provide faculty with additional tools to support the teaching and learning experience and enhance the curriculum. In the case of students, it gives them the opportunity to continue developing the knowledge and skills acquired in the classroom and motivates them to become cloud developers and leaders in the IT industry.
"Incorporating technology into our curriculum not only enhances the learning experience, but also opens up new possibilities for innovation and creativity in education," said Vice Provost Jorge Figueroa, PhD.
TWU is piloting these services primarily with the division of Computer Sciences and the College of Business, but they are free and available to faculty and students in all disciplines.
As an institutional member of Oracle Academy, TWU faculty will be provided with resources to help develop core computing knowledge and skills aligned to industry standards. Meanwhile, students receive hands-on technology experience and develop skills to become career-ready in the era of cloud computing, artificial intelligence, data science, and beyond. As an Oracle Academy Institutional Member, TWU will gain free access to a wide range of computing tools and training, including:
- Oracle Academy Cloud Program: Access to Oracle Autonomous Database and Compute Virtual Machines (VM) through Oracle Cloud Free Tier, as well as 3,500 hours of free cloud credits annually for emerging technologies, infrastructure, database, application development, and more.
- Oracle Application Express (APEX): Access to Oracle Application Express (APEX) for hands-on practice in the cloud. APEX is a cloud-based, low-code development platform that enables users to build scalable, secure enterprise apps, with world-class features, that can be deployed anywhere.
- NetSuite: Access to NetSuite and NetSuite OneWorld software as a service (SaaS) solutions to provide students with practical, hands-on business computing experience in enterprise resource planning (ERP), sales and marketing, ecommerce, supply chain, and more.
- Curriculum and Learning Resources: College-ready and career-focused curriculum and learning modules in Java, database, and project management. A sampling of courses include: Artificial Intelligence with Machine Learning in Java, Oracle Application Express (APEX) Development Foundations, and Oracle Primavera P6 Professional Project Management Fundamentals.
- Free professional development for educators
The TWU faculty are fully supported by Oracle Academy to help students learn, build, explore and become innovators and leaders in and outside of the classroom.
Resources for Oracle Academy:
LinkedIn Learning with GitHub
Students can master today’s top programming languages and topics like data science and AI with LinkedIn Learning courses that include hands-on practice through seamless integration with GitHub Codespaces — a cloud-based development environment that lets students start learning on any machine in seconds. After completing a course, students can continue practicing new skills by splitting off a course repo and creating a new codespace without having to install any additional software.
LinkedIn Learning (free, unlimited, 24/7 access) is integrated into Canvas. Instructors can easily assign courses in LinkedIn Learning to students using this integration.
Resources for LinkedIn Learning
- Oracle Academy is available to us because of our partnership with Oracle through the ERP Oracle Cloud project
- In addition to the above, TWU Computer Science and IT Solutions are exploring additional opportunities with GitHub Education. More info soon.