The Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) Induction and College of Nursing-Houston Awards ceremony was conducted virtually for the first time ever on Friday, April 24. Inductees and recipients were able to watch the ceremony with their family and friends via a link emailed to them. The ceremony may be viewed by anyone with a TWU email address.
Nursing faculty and STTI Beta Beta Houston Chapter President Joan Edwards announced the names of the 51 students who qualified and accepted an invitation to join the nursing honor society. The students were individually recognized with their own personal slide created within the program.
“We’ve never done a virtual induction program before; however, STTI held a webinar after the world started sheltering in place, suggesting we may want to consider doing one,” Edwards said. “We jumped at the opportunity, and I’m so glad we did. I think the students really appreciated it.”
In addition to the induction of new student and community members, two graduate-level nursing students were recognized and awarded $1,000. Two Jesse H. & Mary Gibbs Jones Research Grants also were awarded, each amounting to $2,000 (Names of TWU faculty in bold):
- Outstanding Master’s Graduate Student — Britnany Alexander
- Outstanding PhD Graduate Student — Suzanne Gillson
- Jesse H. & Mary Gibbs Jones Research Grants — Heidi Gilroy, Wyona Freysteinson, Rosemary Pine and Tania Celia, “A Grounded Theory Approach to Understanding Nursing Leadership During a Crisis;” and Amanda Garey, “Assessing Inter-professional Collaboration Among Urban Area Inpatient Hospital-based Healthcare Providers with an Online Web-based Educational Intervention — A Quasi-Experimental Study.”
Associate Dean Ainslie Nibert led the ceremony for the College of Nursing – Houston awards, which were presented to one student at each level and came with a $1,000 award.
- Outstanding Junior I Student — Chastity Nwanna
- Outstanding Junior II Student — Morgan Lee
- Outstanding Senior I Student — Grace Minako Beyl
- Outstanding AGACNP Student — Rachel Reisdorf
- Outstanding FNP Student — Sarah Barron
- Outstanding NHSM Student — Katherine Wang
- Outstanding DNP Student — Lixian Luo
- Outstanding PhD Student — Matthew Schlueter