While TWU tries hard to keep its community safe, accidents do occasionally happen. If you are confused about how to report injuries, incidents or near-misses on campus, see below.
What steps do I need to take?
If there is an accident
- If the accident involves serious injury, there is property damage, or you require other assistance; call DPS. Denton DPS: 940-898-2911. Dallas DPS: 214-689-6666 and Houston DPS: 713-794-2222
- If an employee is injured,
- The employee must inform their immediate supervisor as soon as possible, within 1 business day. You may be required to complete a department-specific incident form.
- Employees will also need to complete the Workers Compensation Packet provided by Human Resources as soon as possible (no later than 30 days after the incident).
- The employee’s supervisor must complete the Supervisor’s Worker’s Compensation Packet as soon as possible as well.
- If the injured individual is not an employee, please report accidents to DPS.
If there is an incident or a near-miss (where someone could have been injured but was not):
What can I expect afterward?
Incidents are reported to Risk Management for review and may be followed-up with an incident investigation. This is not a punitive process; it is merely an effort to determine the root cause of the accident and to identify corrective actions to prevent similar incidents in the future.
Similarly, Risk Management may follow up on reported near-miss incidents. Near-misses are incredibly important to report as they provide valuable opportunities to correct issues before someone is injured!
If you have any questions, please contact Risk Management at email@example.com.